The North-East Development Commission - Education Endowment Fund (NEDC-EEF) is intended to address the poor human development indices, high illiteracy rate and high poverty levels of the North-East. The broad aim of the Fund is to develop sufficient human capital in order to acquire adequate capacity for infrastructural and socio-economic development of the NE region.
The following objectives of the NEDC-EEF are drawn from the broad goal for the Fund.
- Build Adequate Manpower for a 21st Century North East Economy.
- Sustainably improve the basic education sub-sector through the provision of requisite infrastructure, equipment, furniture, teaching and learning materials and training/retraining of teachers.
- Galvanise partners’ synergy in ensuring the delivery of qualitative learning to students.
- Support the immediate and midterm injection of multi-sector market driven skills into the region.
- Support the injection of specialized professional skills over the mid to long-term in the region that are both locally and internationally relevant.
- Contribute to peacebuilding in the region through strategic grassroot sports initiatives.
- Create a platform for networking and cross pollination of ideas by the upcoming North East Intelligentsia.
- Ensure equity in access to future opportunities by providing scholarships to less privilege students.
- Coordinate the targeting and mobilization of resources for investments in the education sector.