Masters Scholarship by Japanese Government
Published: 01 Jan 1970
Are you looking on furthering your education? Do you have Japan in mind? Then you should not miss this MEXT Japanese scholarship. Applications for University Recommended Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship 2021/2022 for International Students are now open.
Japanese Government (MEXT) Masters Scholarship
Benefits of Japanese Government (MEXT) Masters Scholarship
- Traveling Costs
- School Fees
For a recipient who will enroll in a Master’s Program, the scholarship will be payable for the standard period of time necessary for the recipient to complete his or her program (standard course term), starting from October 2021.
- Master’s Program = October, 2021 – September, 2023 (2years)
Requirements for Japanese Government (MEXT) Masters Scholarship
- International students with outstanding academic records (*1) who wish to enter Japan in September, 2021 as a new student (*2) to study in the Master's Program at the Graduate School of Science.
- (1) Applicants who have already graduated from their latest degree program should have a final grade point of 2.30 or higher, while current students should have a grade point of 2.30 or higher for their current courses, and both should be expected to maintain the same academic standards during the course of the scholarship program.
*Grade points shall be calculated according to a formula specified by MEXT.
Furthermore, students must meet one of the criteria given under “(7) Language Proficiency” given below.
- (2) Please refer to (11) Non-eligibility 5. to confirm your eligibility.
- We are only able to nominate an applicant who holds one of the nationalities specified by MEXT. To see the list of priority nationalities, please click here.
- Applicants must be born on or after April 2, 1986.
- Applicants must have the necessary qualifications to be admitted to the Graduate School of Science, the University of Tokyo as a Master's Program student.
- Applicants must apply for the field of study that they studied at their previous university or a related field.
- Applicants must meet one of the language requirements in either English or in Japanese as described
- Applicants must be physically and mentally healthy enough to pursue their studies.
- Applicants must enter the country with the resident status of "Student", having obtained the visa anew prior to traveling to Japan.
After nomination by the Graduate School of Science, nominees for the MEXT selection will be decided in a selection process for the entire University of Tokyo. After the University of Tokyo nominates its candidates, the grantees will be decided upon screening at MEXT.
Application Documents to be uploaded:
- Application form (must be in double-sided print) Note that applicants may be required to resubmit the application form in January 2021.
- Field of Study and Research Plan
- Letter of recommendation from "dean or above"
- Passport-type photo taken within the last 6 months (4.5 x 3.5 cm, upper-body, full-faced, without a cap) Write name and nationality on the back and glue it to the application form. A photo in electronic data format is acceptable.
- An official transcript from the last university attended (at undergraduate or graduate level).
- Proof of language ability certifying that one of the Language Proficiency conditions apply (for example, a TOEFL, IELTS or JLPT score report or a language of education certificate from your previous university)
- Abstract of graduation thesis(should be concise and to the point)
- Official statement of (expected) graduation of the last university attended.
- A copy of the student's passport (The page with photo)
Application DeadlineOctober 30, 2020
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Japanese Government on webfs.adm.u-tokyo.ac.jp
PhD Scholarship scholarship by
- Applicants must send in the required documents for MEXT Scholarship as well as complete their admission application for entering the Master's/Doctoral Program, following the "Instruction for Graduate School Application for International Students".
- These documents must be written in either Japanese or English. They must be created in A4 format using software such as MS Word and must be printed double-sided (duplex printing). A document written in any other language must be accompanied with a Japanese translation.
- Submitted documents will not be returned.
- An application passed the submission deadline is not acceptable.
- An application will not be considered unless all application forms and necessary documents are completed correctly and all accompanying documents are complete.
- In some countries, a graduation certificate and other documents are issued by a government administrative office. In this case, the University of Tokyo may need to confirm with a student's previous university that the certificate issued contains no erroneous information.
- The applicants should be in good enough health to pursue their studies.
How to upload your application documents in electronic form:
Scan and upload all of your application documents to the designated URL, following all of the instructions below:
- Your submission file must be in PDF format. Scan and combine all of your application documents into one single PDF file.
- The file name must include the applicant's first and last names.
(Example - If your name is Jane Ann Bethany Catherine Tokyo: JaneTOKYO_MEXT_Documents.pdf )
- Upload your submission file to the URL below before the application deadline:
*Files uploaded after17:00 on October 30, 2020, Japan Standard Time, will not be accepted.
- After uploading your file, immediately email the International Liaison Office at the email address below, letting us know of your submission and of your filename. (We will email you back in three business days, upon confirming that we have indeed received your file.)
For more details, visit University of Tokyo website