University of York 2023 York Global Widening Participation Scholarship for African Students
Three full scholarships are available for secondary/high school students from Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa and Ukraine.Find out more about and apply for the York Global Widening Participation Scholarship
Table of Content
University of York York Global Widening Participation Scholarship
Aim and Benefits of University of York York Global Widening Participation Scholarship
The York Global Widening Participation Scholarship covers the following:
- programme fee (£3,497)
- travel costs (according to the University’s travel and expenses policy)
- passport and visa costs (up to £300)
- £100 spending money
Requirements for University of York York Global Widening Participation Scholarship
You qualify to apply for this scholarship if:
- you are currently in secondary education
- you hold a citizenship from any country in Latin America or Sub-Saharan Africa or from Ukraine
- you meet our minimum recommended level of English language skills, ie CEFR B2, IELTS 5, TOEFL 44+ or Duolingo 75+ (no need for a language exam)
- you can prove your academic motivation
- your family’s financial situation would not enable you to participate in the programme without this scholarship
- this would be your first study abroad experience.
You are more likely to get the scholarship if:
- neither of your parents attended university (or they went to university as a mature student during your secondary education)
- you are estranged from your family
- you are from a military family (while you have been in education, your parent(s) have served in the military)
- you have a disability or long term health condition*
- you identify as LGBTQI+
- you belong to an ethnic minority group in your country.
*Due to the study abroad nature of the programme, you must be able to travel independently.
Documents Required for Application
Personal statement: As part of your application, we ask you to tell us about your academic motivation to join the programme. We are interested in reading about the following:
- your general interest in higher education
- your interest in studying in the UK and at the University of York
- your specific interest in the academic option (subject) that you chose
- your interest in the other components of the York Global Summer Schools programme
- examples of your previous engagement with the subject that you chose
You can write up to 4,000 characters about it on the application form. We recommend that you write this in a word processor first and then copy it to the application form.
School support letter: As part of your application, we also ask you to provide an official letter from your school supporting your application.You have to ask an employee of your current school (eg a teacher, counsellor or principal) to complete the form below. They can fill it in using a computer, but they must sign and stamp it, before giving you a scanned copy to submit.You will then need to upload this scanned copy of the school support letter as part of your scholarship application form.
Application DeadlineFebruary 17, 2022
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to University of York on uni-york.formstack.com
- You must complete our electronic scholarship application form.
- We recommend that you only start filling it in after you have received the school support letter and written up your personal statement.
- After the application deadline, we review all scholarship applications and evaluate them against the selection criteria.
- If your application is shortlisted, we will invite you to a short online interview to further discuss your application. Interviews will take place between 27 February and 3 March 2023. Please make sure that you are available to talk to us on these days.
For more details,visit University of York website