Award Scholarship by The Fund for Internet Research and Development (FIRE)
The Fund for Internet Research and Development – FIRE Africa – is one of Africa’s leading Grants and Awards programmes designed to encourage, support and develop innovative online solutions to Africa’s education, information, infrastructure and communication needs.
Create. Enable. Connect
Even with the lowest Internet penetration rates anywhere in the world, and with one of the largest as-yet unconnected populations anywhere on earth, Africa’s online economy is growing steadily, largely due to the expansion of mobile Internet technologies in the region. We believe that the Internet plays a critical role in Africa’s social and economic development.
FIRE Africa provides funds in the form of Grants and Awards for projects, initiatives, tools and platforms that harness the power of the Internet to empower the local and regional community to solve the region’s unique online communications problems. Since we ran our pilot project in 2007 to identify innovative ICT solutions to the challenges faced by local communities, FIRE Africa has grown into a fully-fledged programme that has helped over 30 initiatives in 16 countries over the last eight years. Our first full round of Grants and Awards took place in 2013.
Grants and Awards
Various types of Grants are available to fund new and existing projects with an implementation time frame of around 16 - 20 months. Scale up Grants are also available to help projects with their capacity building efforts and to reach the next phase of implementation. Awards are given to exemplary existing projects in order to help expand operations and to facilitate project promotion, international networking, fund acquisition, scaling and sustainability. Travel awards are also provided to facilitate travel to relevant global platforms, including the prestigious annual Internet Governance Forum (IGF), for project promotion and networking purposes.
Apply now for the 2019 FIRE fully funded ICT award for developing countries. The FIRE Africa Awards seek to acknowledge innovative initiatives in Africa and have made concrete contributions to the use of information and communications technologies and have had a strong impact on the region's social and economic development.
Aim and Benefits
The FIRE Award consists of a USD 3,000 cash prize plus full travel and accommodation for one representative of the selected project to attend the awards ceremony, and participate in sessions which will be held in Berlin Germany during the 2019 Internet Governance Forum starting from 25th to 29th November 2019
Requirments for Scholarship Award Qualification
- ICT for Development: ICT for community development and poverty reduction. New uses of ICT in the health, education, industry, environment, agriculture, and other sectors. The projects can be in any of the following subcategories: -
- Encourages the use of ICTs for enhancing human development and economic empowerment, thus promoting the reduction of poverty.
- To promote new uses of ICTs in education.
- Work on promoting gender equality, improving interventions through the use of digital tools.
- Implement telehealth services (e-health, m-health and telemedicine).
- Improve prevention and control measures through the use of ICTs in cases of emergencies and natural disasters.
- Meet challenges in the areas of economy and employment through projects that leverage ICTs and strengthen digital ecosystems.
- Exploring the potential of the Internet for things in agriculture, climate change, energy and natural resource management
April 28, 2019 .
How to apply
Before submitting your proposal, we invite you to read our frequently asked questions . If you have any questions, please contact the officer in charge of the program at fireprogram (at) afrinic.net
Key dates for the 2019 AWARDS Proposals
- Call for project proposals opens: 26th April 2019
- Deadline for Submission: 31st May 2019 at 11:59 PM PDT (GMT - 7)
- Screening, Evaluation and Selection: 3rd June to 5th July 2019
- Due Diligence review and contracts: 8th July 2019 to 31st July 2019
- Announcement of Successful Applicant:1st August 2019
No proposals will be accepted outside the online application system. All proposals have been submitted before the deadline.
Interested and qualified? Go to The Fund for Internet Research and Development (FIRE) on fireafrica.org
- International Scholarship for Research on Primary Snoring
- TRENDHIM SCHOLARSHIP
- Scholarship Grant for Undergradute Students
- Helen Lansdowne Resor Scholarship for Creative Women
- Novus Biologicals Scholarship Program
- Executive Scholarship for Online MBA
- Internet Marketing Scholarship - 3rd IBG Scholarship 2019
- Jelvix Scholarship Program 2019
- Gordon Signy Fellowships, 2019
- University Of Queensland Master of Advanced Economics Scholarships in Australia, 2019
- Dame Margaret Clark Scholarships at Victoria University of Wellington in New Zealand, 2019
- Cardiff Metropolitan University Elite Sport Scholarship Awards in UK, 2019
- University Of Hamburg Doctoral Scholarships in Germany, 2020
- Bayer Science & Education Foundation – International Fellowships, 2019
- Frank J. Richter Scholarship from The American Association of Railroad Superintendents,Canada 2019
- Purdue University Lillian Gilbreth Postdoctoral Fellowships in US, 2020
- Tony Shaw- International Students House Scholarship – University of Westminster UK 2019
- C4TS Scholarship In Trauma Sciences- Queen Mary University of London, UK, 2019
- Mathematics Undergraduate Merit Scholarships at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) in US, 2019